Microwaves. One of the conveniences of our day. I remember when I was little and my family got one – kids these days can’t even remember when they didn’t exist! We registered for one when we got married – of course. You really just don’t think about the risks of things like this that are everywhere. You assume that since every home has one (except for those Amish people who don’t use electric) that they are safe…right?
A year or two ago, I came across a couple of articles online about the dangers of microwaves. One was from Mercola (this is only one of his – he has a few others, too) and another was just an article a friend posted on Facebook. If you do some research, you will find several. They talk about how microwaves change the molecular structure of the food heated in them, how it makes the food carcinogenic (cancer-causing), depletes it of most or all nutrients, emits radiation into the air (especially if the seal is not tight around the door) that is simply not good to be exposed to for many reasons…and on and on. Of course many of us hear of the dangers of heating food in plastic containers in the microwave, as well. So, my response to this was to use our microwave as little as possible and only cook in glass – never plastic. I only used the machine to heat up leftovers and such – never to prepare whole meals. Although, I did cook the occasional veggie in there…but that wasn’t but maybe once a week. I also used it for last-minute thawing jobs.
Recently, I was challenged by a couple of friends who do not own microwaves. One told me I should just get rid of it and go cold turkey, and that would force me to use other, safer methods. At first, I just didn’t feel ready for this step. I mean, everyone (okay, almost everyone) we know owns and uses a microwave! I know some people who can’t seem to have a meal without using it for at least one part of the meal! But then again, we are used to being different from
everyone else the majority. We already don’t use medicine, go to a chiropractor instead of an M.D., don’t vaccinate, etc. What’s one more thing to make us…weird.
So, we did it! We got rid of the micro-beast! About a week ago I asked my husband if he would even consider it and he said sure! I was surprised! I thought he would fight me on this one! I showed him a few of the articles I had read on the dangers and he said to go ahead and get rid of it – so we did – right away! I’ve got to say that it feels good! It’s been an adjustment this week finding new ways to warm things up, but it’s definitely doable! We may even look into getting a toaster oven to replace the convenience…eventually. Who knew you could live without a microwave??? Shocking, isn’t it? And, I think we will be healthier for it…and probably even save on some energy bills.